Minutes of Parish Meetings
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting - February 2003
1. Councillors were pleased with the work carried out by Highways to the footpaths along Church Lane and to the kerbing between the Cotton Hall and High Street. A letter recording the Council's thanks would be sent to South Highways Division.
2. District Councillor Eustace Bullman informed Councillors of the new "wheelie bin" service which South Cambridgeshire District Council intends to introduce to all residents later this year. This will consist of all households, (with the exception of those who cannot manage a wheeled bin system) being issued with two wheeled bins, one black and the other mid-green. The black bin will take place of the black bag for non-recyclable rubbish and the green bin will be for green waste, cardboard and kitchen waste. Each bin will be on alternate weeks. After discussion, some Councillors agreed that more consultation was needed on this proposed scheme and Councillor Bullman agreed to get someone from SCDC to come to speak at a future Parish Council meeting.
3. Councillors had shown concern at the number of motorists speeding through the village. PC Wade has informed the Council that speed strips will be laid down some time in the near future to ascertain whether there is indeed a problem.
4. The Date of the Annual Parish Meeting was set for Wednesday 14th May 2003 in the Girton Glebe School Hall, from 7.30pm. (To be confirmed).
5. The Parish Council had learned that both Application A, made by the Girton Town Charity and Application B, made by George Wimpey UK Ltd had been granted planning permission by both the Planning Inspector and the Secretary of State. Further discussions are taking place before detailed planning permission is applied for. Councillors had all received notes from the first meeting held by the Girton Town Charity Land Development Committee who had discussed what the Parish Council might like to put on the 0.4 hectare of remainder land that was to be transferred to the Council. It was generally agreed that a Bowling Green would be an asset to the village and should be considered for part of the land.
6. The new Play Equipment project is going very well. Thanks were recorded to all volunteers for their help, especially Jeff Hall who has been of tremendous help and without whom the project would not run so smoothly.
7. The Open Spaces Committee has agreed to enlist the services of the gardeners from Girton Youth Works to revamp the large perennial bed on Hibbert-Ware Garden.
8. Discussions continue regarding the state of track between the Glebe School and the Recreation Ground. It is hoped to get the track resurfaced and a barrier put up to prevent cars speeding up and down there during the summer months.
9. Complaints had been received about dog dirt being left around the play area at Weaver's Field. The Council discussed various ideas and decided to invest in more notices warning of fines for owners who didn't clear up after their dogs.
10. As part of the Government's rolling programme of safety and congestion improvements, work will soon begin to widen the existing A14 westbound carriageway on the approach to the Girton interchange. A dedicated turning lane for M11 southbound traffic will be created, along with improvements to the junction signing. The works are scheduled to start towards the end of March 2003 and are expected to be completed during September 2003. Traffic management for the works will involve lane closures on the westbound carriageway (and occasionally on the eastbound carriageway) but this will be restricted to off peak hours. There will be temporary off peak closures of the slip road from the A14 to the M11 southbound at the Girton interchange. Whilst the A14 westbound carriageway is closed at its junction with the A11 for through traffic and at its junction with the B1049 for local traffic there will be clearly signed diversions in place. A 40mph mandatory speed limit will be in place on the westbound carriageway and a 50mph mandatory speed limit in place on the eastbound carriageway during lane closures.