Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - April 2008
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk. The full minutes may be found here.
1. Northstowe planning application. The Council has agreed a lengthy response to the Northstowe Planning Application which can be viewed in the Parish Office. We expect that as a result of all the responses there will be a second round of consultations later in the year.
2. North-West Cambridge. Outline plans for the development on the University Farm have been approved by a joint committee of the County and District Councils. The Chairman of the Parish Council attended that meeting and expressed his concerns on behalf of the village.
3. Congestion charging. The Parish Council agreed a response to the County Council's proposals as follows: "Girton Parish Council object to the proposed position of the charging cordon on the A14 bridge in the centre of Girton village. Sensible further comments can only be made once we see the results of the feasibility study on excluding the whole of the village."
4. Co-Option of new councillor. The Parish Council are pleased to welcome Sam Clift as a new member. The Council would like to express thanks to John Mayfield who stepped down from the Council recently. As a result there is another vacancy. Please contact the Clerk if you are interested in joining the Council.
5. Annual Parish Meeting. The date for this meeting has had to be changed to 8 May 2008 and will be held at the Cotton Hall starting at 8pm. Please put this date in your diary: it is an opportunity for you to express your concerns for our village and to involve yourself in the way the village is run over the next 12 months. As in previous years a Societies Fair will be held before the meeting from 7.30pm. This is a chance to see what is happening in the village and perhaps to join groups you didn't know existed. Please will members of the Societies book their tables with the Clerk.
6. New noticeboards at Recreation Ground and Co-Op. New lockable glass fronted noticeboards have been erected at the Recreation Ground and Co-Op. If you wish to place an advertisement or poster in these boards please give copies to the Clerk at the Parish Council office. We would be pleased to receive nothing larger than A5 sized copies because of a shortage of space. The central panel of the Recreation Ground noticeboard will contain a map of the village specially commissioned by the Council. Initially this will be a first draft: please send to the Clerk any comments you have on how it might be improved.
7. Dog and litter bins. The Parish Council applied to have a dog bin located at Fairway, but under the District Council's new regulations we have no control of provision and our request was turned down.
8. Public spaces in the village. The Parish Council recently arranged to clear up a considerable amount of mess and fly tipping from Weavers Field after the problem was notified to us. We do rely heavily on members of the public informing us when there are such problems.
9. Forthcoming meetings The next Parish Council meetings will be held on Wednesday 16 April and Wednesday 21 May (AGM) at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. The meetings will begin at 7.30pm.